Recently, a viral TikTok video showcased a woman adding paracetamol tablets to her cooking, claiming it to be a trick for tenderising meat. In the video, the woman is seen placing a paracetamol tablet into her meat dish.
However, this video has drawn the attention of several medical practitioners who are cautioning the public against imitating such actions.
Photo via TikTok (@anggiiewijayanti)
The toxic substance can have dangerous long-term effects on the body.
According to sources, Ayman Alatas, a medical practitioner and TikTok user, stated that this action is perilous because paracetamol becomes toxic when exposed to the heat of cooking.
"When the food is heated, specific processes occur that cause paracetamol to produce toxic or poisonous substances. The toxic substance can have dangerous long-term effects on the body.
“Therefore, the public is advised not to use paracetamol in cooking, especially if this practice is continued for years," he said.
Ayman also suggested that the public use natural alternatives to tenderise meat, such as pineapple.
This incident underscores the potential hazards of blindly following cooking tips or health advice found online without consulting professionals. The ease of sharing information on platforms like TikTok does not guarantee its safety or accuracy.
It is crucial for individuals to exercise caution and seek guidance from experts, especially in matters related to health and safety. Blindly incorporating substances into food based on unverified online trends can pose serious risks to one's well-being.
Let's prioritise our health and safety by relying on credible sources and professional advice!