Malaysian Suffers Food Poisoning with RM5,000 Hospital Bill; Eatery Offers Mere RM100 Voucher as Compensation

Many of us have encountered the unpleasant ordeal of food poisoning at least once or twice during our lives. However, envision a scenario where food poisoning is so severe that it culminates in a hefty hospital bill of RM5,000. 

Unfortunately, this was the distressing predicament that befell a woman in Kuala Lumpur after dining at a restaurant within a local shopping mall.

malaysian suffers food poisoning with rm5,000 hospital bill; eatery offers mere rm100 voucher as compensationPhoto via China Press

In accordance with a report from China Press, the woman, identified as Chen, embarked on a solo dining excursion at the establishment around 6 pm on August 14, a Monday. Approximately four hours later, she began to feel unwell, besieged by symptoms that included vomiting and diarrhea. 

To exacerbate matters, she soon developed a high fever, prompting her to promptly seek medical attention at a nearby hospital. Subsequently, the medical professionals at the hospital confirmed her affliction as a case of food poisoning, necessitating her admission and placement on intravenous drips for a grueling three-day, two-night ordeal.

Chen conscientiously reported the unfortunate incident to the restaurant, where their response was less than satisfactory. The establishment purportedly asserted that their food was meticulously prepared in accordance with their standard operating procedures (SOP). 

Oddly, they failed to identify the specific food item that might have precipitated the food poisoning and instead shifted the blame onto Chen. As a form of reparation, they provided her with a mere RM100 voucher.

Chen voiced her dissatisfaction, remarking, "They later gave me an RM100 cash coupon as compensation, but my medical expenses amounted to a staggering RM5,000." Despite having been a loyal customer, particularly fond of their noodle dishes, Chen unequivocally declared her decision never to patronize the restaurant again.

Subsequently, other patrons began coming forward, sharing their unsettling encounters at the same establishment, where they claimed to have discovered flies and other insects in their meals.

Food poisoning is not merely an inconvenience; it can have serious health repercussions. In severe cases, it can lead to hospitalization, substantial medical bills, and, tragically, even loss of life. In Malaysia, food safety regulations and laws are in place to protect the health and well-being of consumers. 

malaysian suffers food poisoning with rm5,000 hospital bill; eatery offers mere rm100 voucher as compensationPhoto via

Under Malaysian law, the Food Act 1983 and the Food Regulations 1985 establish strict guidelines for food handling, preparation, and storage to ensure public safety. Restaurants and eateries are obligated to adhere to these standards to prevent foodborne illnesses.

In light of the distressing incident endured by Chen and the disturbing reports from other patrons, it is essential for restaurant owners to recognize their responsibility in safeguarding the health of their customers. Maintaining impeccable cleanliness, rigorous food safety protocols, and regular inspections are not optional; they are imperative.

As consumers, we also have a role to play in holding establishments accountable. It's crucial to report any incidents of food poisoning to the relevant authorities, such as the Ministry of Health in Malaysia, to ensure that incidents are investigated thoroughly and the necessary actions are taken to prevent recurrences.