In 2022, we lived, we laughed, we learned on TikTok.
Our Malaysian community entertained and inspired each other, elevating and celebrating self-expression by discovering, creating, and sharing content that captured our collective imagination. In celebration of a fantastic 2022 made possible by entertainment driven by the community, TikTok Malaysia is introducing #YearOnTikTok to celebrate the trends, creators, and moments that made 2022, truly #ForYou.
This year, TikTok is where we experienced the joy of learning a few new tips to make our lives easier, cooking our way through culinary adventures, turning the pages of our favorite books, singing along to songs stuck in our heads, and so much more. Across In Malaysia, we also celebrated the highs and lows with our friends and family through all sorts of entertainment, edutainment, and even shoppertainment.
“We’re honored to celebrate the Malaysian community who shaped this year's trends, shared new ideas, learned from one another, and turned their passions into careers and livelihoods throughout 2022. It's been truly inspiring to see over a billion people around the world show their creativity and come together to experience joy and find a sense of belonging on TikTok,” said Darren Quek, Strategy Operations Manager, TikTok Malaysia.
This year, TikTok has had a very rich and wonderful year 2022 which we saw a mixture of great content from great creators: trends, edutainment, music, authentic voices, the forefront of culture, and communities with common interests all happening. For this, TikTok has featured a collection of local and global creators from 10 categories that have brought their communities together with their unique association with the audience.
Join us as we celebrate all the unforgettable trends, creators and moments that brought us closer together in 2022, a year that's truly #ForYou!
In 2022, trending content on TikTok reached For You feeds everywhere, with pets, daily vlogs, and comedy transcending cultures and borders. In Malaysia, our For You feeds was filled with heartwarming moments shared with our friends and family. Recreating a childhood photo? Click! A budget make-up tutorial? Score! Check out the videos that made up some of this year's most memorable moments.
- @wanitabermisai - Wanita Bermisai took us behind the scenes of her viral video.
- @ryanbakery - A skit that had us in stitches.
- @rozyanaroslan2 - Rozyana Roslan took the "My Husband Does My Make-up" trend to the next level.
- @emma_maembongofficial - Emma Maembong re-created an old family photo with style.
- @rrzmie - Halloween costume on a budget? No problem!
On TikTok, we all learned a thing (or two!) this year, as our community discovered new recipes, beauty and wellness routines, along with some handy life hacks along the way. With the holiday season coming up, we've got you covered with some cool photography tips to capture the festivities. Or how about a fun fact to impress your friends over dinner? Here are some of the popular trends and tutorials that showed us what we needed to know this year.
- @sensei_aw_karate - Pick up a quick Karate trick today!
- @acuhealing - Fix your poor posture as we step into the new year!
- @davidddodle - Who knew it was that easy to add cool effects to your videos?
- @iqbalahyar - Impress your dinner date with a fun fact about camels.
- @sir_asai - How do you pronounce 'Connecticut'?
From fresh beats to classics making a comeback, the songs on our For You feeds made us hit repeat. In 2022, popular songs on TikTok came from established, emerging, and breakthrough artists, spanning a range of genres as diverse as our community itself. This year, 13 out of the 14 Billboard Hot 100 number one songs were driven by trends on TikTok. In Malaysia, we danced left-and-right to fun beats while Dolla dropped a groovy tune. Here are TikTok's trending tunes this year.
- "Raya Raya Raya" - Dolla
- "CASABLANCA" - Nuha Bahrin & Naufal Azrin
- "Gatal" - Janna Nick
- "Gemuruh" - Nayli Azmi, Ash Fasryll & Saiful Anwar
- "Left and Right" - Charlie Puth ft. Jungkook of BTS
Creators are the beating heart of TikTok, driving culture and innovative content creation. In 2022, we saw creators around the world entertain and connect with communities, as well as launch their careers on and off TikTok. In Malaysia, we hope TikTok brought a smile to your faces, evoked some nostalgia, or taught you a new trick or two. Here are the trending creators, celebrities and artists who hit new heights on TikTok this year.
- @upinipin.official - Upin & Ipin celebrated Deepavali with a song and dance.
- @ryanbakery - Made us laugh with their creative ideas and humour.
- @rozyanaroslan2 - The beautiful Rozyana Roslan showed us her glowy and flawless make-up routine.
- @bossjames_oe - A day in the life of the motivational Boss James.
- @drbengee - Dr. Ben Gee raises awareness of gum disease.
This year, we continued to push the boundaries of authentic self-expression on TikTok through a diverse array of creative and community effects, sounds, filters, and more. In Malaysia, we discovered new music and the trendiest effects and stickers to spice up our For You feeds. Here are the TikTok trends made possible by our features - and your own creativity - in 2022.
- Horse Filter
- Zoom In
- Stop Motion
- Light Up CNY2022
TikTok is a playground where artists propelled trends to the forefront of culture and inspired us with their boundless creativity this year The sky is the limit when it comes to creativity, as musicians on TikTok went out of the way to explore music and content that really sang to their audiences. The sky is the limit when it comes to creativity, as musicians on TikTok went out of the way to explore music and content that really sang to their audiences. Here are the artists who captured our community's ears - and eyes - with the most video views throughout 2022.
As a recent saying goes, phone eats first! This year, foodies around the world continued to find a home on TikTok, sharing their favorite cooking tips, culinary adventures and all-day cravings. In 2022, TikTok continued to bring together people from all over the world with common interests and curiosities. After all, food is our national language. From a romantic lunch date to heartwarming dinners with your friends and family, we hope #MakanLokal and other TikTok content has inspired you to try out something new and trendy.
- @limaunipisofficial - A mouth-watering curry chicken recipe!
- @khairulaming - Prep for a family picnic with Khairul Aming.
- @abangtapau - Taking you on scrumptious a seafood feast.
- @syedot_asmr - A simple mushroom recipe that will leave you wanting more!
- @aniis_ismail - Check out this refreshing drink that is the perfect treat for our hot weather.
In 2022, TikTok continued to bring together people from all over the world with common interests and curiosities. Whatever you're interested in, whether it's #FarmTok, #MovieTok, or #CareerTok, you can find your own community and make authentic connections on TikTok. This year, we saw communities and fandoms come together to inspire one another with their unique subcultures. Automobiles, travel, and even the cutest pets found their way onto TikTok. Here are some of this year's favorite communities.
- Graphic Art - Adding some colour and flair to your For You feeds.
- Travel - Fulfill your wanderlust dreams!
- Campus Life - School is fun!
- Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - What were the coolest automobiles this year?
- Pets - Aww.. the cutest fluffy creatures on our platform.
Malaysians are truly talented when it comes to creating their own effects on TikTok which encompasses the colourful and vibrant energy that Malaysia has to offer. Be a champ, or show off your patriotic spirit! Have you tried any of the effects created by the featured effect masters this year?
- @fathulimran - Published 9 effects with 11.4M Views
- @dilladontdodat - Published 9 effects with 956K Views
- @yedkajang - Published 14 effects with 943K Views
- @ggatorart - Published 69 effects with 701K Views
- @gameplus40 - Published 134 effects with 667K Views
A little retail therapy can't hurt, and it is even better when you find a great bargain or the hottest products on TikTok! From yummy snacks to cool lifestyle gadgets, we hope you scored a good deal or two for yourselves this mega sale season!
- @viewchin_view - What were the hottest deals during the 11/11 sale?
- @dearcarynn - Beautiful kaftans that are perfect all year round.
- @ahma.recipe - Endless recipes you can re-create with the air fryer!
- @datoserividaofficial - Salmon skin chips that you need to try!
Celebrate Year on TikTok 2022 with us
Get ready to celebrate Year on TikTok 2022 with us in Malaysia. Want to learn more about what made 2022 a year that's truly #ForYou?
Also, don't forget to follow us on TikTok as well!
Can't wait to see what 2023 will bring!