The Floods Are Back In Kelantan And Terengganu

The floods in Kelantan and Terengganu continued to record an increase of 15,126 people involving 4,901 families this morning, according to Bernama news.

the floods are back in kelantan and terengganuPhoto: Twitter @k_izzuddin

The situation in Kelantan worsened overnight with more than 10,000 people now forced to seek shelter at flood relief centers around the area.

Victims have been placed in 77 temporary relief centers in 8 districts, namely Tumpat, Pasir Mas, Kota Bharu, Tanah Merah, Pasir Puteh, Machang, Bachok and Kuala Krai.

According to the Public Welfare Department disaster info application, the centre in Jeli is closed as of this morning while the number of flood victims in Pasir Mas continued to increase to 7,933 from 3,053 families, all located across 28 temporary relief centres around the area.

Meanwhile, police have once again rubbished viral messages claiming that the flooding in Terengganu was because of overflowing water from the Kenyir Dam, an infamous rumour that surfaces every year during the flood season.

the floods are back in kelantan and terengganuPhoto: Twitter @k_izzuddin

Terengganu is also not showing signs of improvement with the number of evacuees remaining at about 5,000. Victims have been housed at 120 temporary relief centers across 8 districts.

Terengganu Malaysian Defense Forces Director-general Lieutenant Colonel Che Adam A Rahman said to Bernama that in Besut, the worst affected area, the number of temporary relief centers remains at 51 locations with a total of 1,879 victims out of 503 families. The situation in Hulu Terengganu has not changed, with 889 victims from 331 families in 16 temporary relief centers.

the floods are back in kelantan and terengganuPhoto: Twitter @k_izzuddin

While Johor has about 52 individuals currently at relief centers in Batu Pahat.

Johor’s Urban and Environmental Welfare Committee chairman, Tan Chen Choon said to Bernama that the victims were 13 families each from Kampung Parit Betong, Kampung Parit Abdul Hadi and Kampung Parit Ju. All of them are now housed at Sekolah Agama Seri Comel which has been opened since Sunday evening.

the floods are back in kelantan and terengganuPhoto: Bernama

The floods have taken two lives so far, including a seven-year old boy, Mohammad Ilham Hasmadi, who was found in a flooded padi field in Kelantan's Pasir Puteh on Monday (Dec 2).

To those in the affected areas, keep up to date with the latest news on floods in your area and stay safe!

By: Siti Farhana Sheikh Yahya