21-year-old Nor Aqilah Mohd Safwan, who was hospitalised after falling unconscious napping in a parked car with three others, has finally regained consciousness.
In the incident, Aqilah’s twin sister, Nor Adilah, and friends Sharifah Fariesha Syed Fathi and Ayuni Shazwanie Shabri died from carbon monoxide poisoning, whilst sleeping in their car at a petrol station in Butterworth, Penang.
They were taking a short break on their way home to Sungai Petai, Kedah, after visiting Pulau Jerejak.
Aqilah is the sole survivor in this tragic incident.
“Aqilah finally opened her eyes this evening, waking up from her coma. She recognised her family members who had come to visit her. She nodded her head in acknowledging their presence,” said North Seberang Perai police chief Shafee Abd Samad.
It’s understood that the three women died after inhaling excessive carbon monoxide, which then led to various organs failing to function.
We hope Aqilah’s back to full health soon!
For your information, here’s how you can avoid such incidents…
by Kyle Roshen Jacob