← Back to list
Over 10,000 Cases Of COVID-19 Have Been Confirmed In Italy With 631 Deaths Total
Mar 11, 2020
Main image via Al Jazeera + Politico Europe
Conditions in Italy seems to be getting a lot worse and we’re hoping that things get better soon as the country faces a constant increase in positive COVID-19 cases.
Earlier this week, it was reported that 7,375 cases were confirmed but now, the number of coronavirus infections has risen to over 10,000.
Image via Al Jazeera
According to Johns Hopkins University and Italy’s Civil Protection agency, 10,149 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed since the outbreak first hit the country last month.
The Italian Civil Protection department confirmed that the death toll is currently at 631 with Italy recording its highest number of fatalities in 24 hours with 168 people succumbing to the virus from Monday.
Italy is now the country with the highest number of confirmed cases, outside China where the virus originated.
Image via Politico Europe
The country has now extended its lockdown to include the entire nation.
Previously only the country’s “red zone” in Venice and Milan - which included over 16 million people, were ordered to isolate.
“We all have to renounce something for the good of Italy,” said Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in a news conference announcing the quarantine. “We have to do it immediately.”
Residents have been urged by the government to not leave their homes unless they are required to go to work, visit a doctor or head to grocery store for necessities.
Image via France 24
Even tougher measures are being considered to help curb the spread of the virus in Italy that has particularly hit the country’s ageing population.
Italy's Civil Protection Chief and Coronavirus Emergency Commissioner Angelo Borrelli said that “45% of those that have died were aged between 80 and 89, and 32% were in their seventies, 14% were over 90, 8% were in their sixties and 2% were aged between 50 to 59,” CNBC reported.
Image via Business Insider
The extended lock down also includes the banning of all public gatherings ranging for “weddings to funerals, sport events and religious services, and Italians are encouraged to stay home and ‘limit social contact as much as possible.’”
“Travel is only allowed for urgent work situations and emergencies or health reasons,” CNBC added.
Schools and universities will remain closed during the lockdown.
The national lockdown will be in place until 3rd April.
Image via Vox
While things in Malaysia may not seem as bad in comparison to Italy, we must all still take precautions with our health.
Be sure to always wash your hands, use hand sanitisers, and wear a facemask if you’re not feeling well. Avoid public spaces if you can and be sure to be aware of your surroundings.
Image via Hertfordshire County Council
Stay updated with the latest COVID-19 news here: https://en.syok.my/covid-19
Info via CNBC